Saturday, February 11, 2012

Crochet Paper Valentines Edging

Only days before I realized that I needed to make Valentines, I gave away all my scrapbook paper because "I wasn't going to get into paper crafting". When I decided that it was time to make Valentines I knew that I wanted to crochet them, and after browsing through google images I determined that I would crochet around card stock... even though I had just gotten rid of all my paper. So I asked my mom (of SpareThymeInk), who daily swims in paper crafts, if she would help me cut out some paper hearts with holes around the edge on her Silhouette Cameo (a paper die cut machine...will try to post cutting file soon.)
So this is me "not getting into paper crafting"
The pattern is actually very similar to my fleece baby blankets...except that (depending on what edging you do) it matters where you start.
With crochet thread and any crochet hook that will fit through the hole you punched, (I used a #2),
Rnd 1: sc in the start stitch, ch 1, (sc, ch 1) in each st until you get to the corner stitch.
(sc, ch 1) 3 times in the corner stitch
(sc, ch 1) in each st until you get to the start stitch again, then sl st in the 1st sc, (NOTE: For the rest of the pattern you will only be working in the sc sts.)

Rnd 2: (Hdc 5 in nxt st, sl st in nxt st) all the way around (NOTE: you don't have to do anything different for the corner st), sl st in 1st sc of rnd 1, fasten off, weave in ends. Write your message. (I tied to refrain from using the ones I marked the stitches on.) <3

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful, original idea! It would be nice to get the dimensions of the heart and how far the holes are from each other... otherwise it may not come out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to figure out how to post files. If you're interested, I could email you a pdf of the file. Otherwise...the dimensions were 2 3/4 inches wide by 2 1/4 inches tall. The holes are about 1/8th inch from the edge and each other with 24 holes total. -Melissa Joy

      Delete