Friday, February 10, 2012

Baby Football Hat

My very first crochet sports item... I generally don't care for football nor almost any sport, but even so I am very pleased with how this pattern turned out. I had looked at a few different patterns that were similar on Ravelry but couldn't find one that was free (yes...I'm a penny pincher...hey, why buy something that you can easily do yourself for free?) and in the right size. So long story short... I ended up writing my own pattern. Pretty much the most complicated thing in this pattern is the magic loop or switching colors.
Size: 0-3months

Tools:
I/9, 5.5mm crochet hook or size needed for gauge
Large Yarn/darning needle

 Gauge:
9 rows of 14 dc each (ch 2 at the beginning of each row)  = 4" square

Materials:
Brown worsted weight yarn (MC)
White worsted weight yarn (CC)

With MC make a magic loop, ch2 (if you would like to avoid the magic loop, ch 3 and pretend the 1st ch is the magic loop)
Rnd 1: dc 12 in magic loop, sl st in 1st dc,
Rnd 2: ch 2, dc 2 in ea st, sl st in 1st dc,
Rnd 3: ch 2, (dc 2 in nxt st, dc 1) repeat around, sl st in 1st dc,
Rnd 4: ch 2, (dc 2 in nxt st, dc 2) repeat around, sl st in 1st dc,
Rnd 5-6: ch 2, dc around, sl st in 1st dc,
Rnd 7: ch 2, dc around, switch to CC (by doing the last dc as follows: yo with MC, insert hook into nxt st, yo with MC, draw through st, yo with MC, draw through 2 loops, yo with CC while holding the tail, draw through 2 loops, DO NOT cut the MC), sl st in 1st dc
Rnd 8: ch 2, dc around, switch to MC (by doing the last dc as follows: yo with CC, insert hook into nxt st, yo with CC, draw through st, yo with CC, draw through 2 loops, yo with MC from the last time you changed colors, draw through 2 loops, cut the CC)
Rnd  9-14: ch 2, dc around, sl st in 1st dc,
Rnd 15: ch 2, dc around, switch to CC (by doing the last dc as follows: yo with MC, insert hook into nxt st, yo with MC, draw through st, yo with MC, draw through 2 loops, yo with CC while holding the tail, draw through 2 loops, DO NOT cut the MC), sl st in 1st dc
Rnd 16: ch 2, dc around, switch to MC (by doing the last dc as follows: yo with CC, insert hook into nxt st, yo with CC, draw through st, yo with CC, draw through 2 loops, yo with MC from the last time you changed colors, draw through 2 loops, cut the CC)
Rnd 17-19: ch 2, dc around, sl st in 1st dc, fasten off after Rnd 19 and weave in tails with darning needle

Lacing: make a ch at least 6in long, fasten off leaving a 6in tail, attach the beg tail to the top of rnd 14 (I just tied a knot), thread the ch on to the needle and complete the stitching as shown...(If you need more instruction for the stitching or otherwise please leave a comment and let me know)

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I am making the football hat for 0-3 months. I do believe there is a mistake in the size hook chosen. Could u pls let me know the coreect size hook for 0-3 months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used an I (American size). My gauge may be a little tighter than "normal." I'm sorry for the confusion.

      Delete
  2. I used an I hook and followed the instructions as written and came out with a hat the size that would fit an adult. Then made the hat with a smaller hook and still was on the big size. Not sure what I did wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that the instructions are a bit confusing, I know how frustrating it can be to have a project come out the wrong size. Couple of things that might help would be checking your gauge and see if it is the same as what I listed above (9 rows of 14 dc each (ch 2 at the beginning of each row) = 4" square) I know it's kind of a pain to check it so in some of my more recent patterns I have had the gauge included as part of the pattern. For this hat Rounds 1-4 should be 3.5 inches in diameter (across the middle). If your gauge doesn't match adjust your hook accordingly. One other thing is that the yarn I used was probably more like a dk weight than a worsted weight, so that might have affected my gauge as well. Though even if we used the same yarn and hook there would be no guarantee that our project would come out the same size since everyone crochets differently. This is why it is important to check your gauge. Thank you for letting me know that the pattern was not clear, I will try and rewrite it soon.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for great patteren.
    I have just finished one hat and will be making others.
    I used 4.0mm hook with 8 ply wool.
    I may change patteren a little next time to give a little more shape on the bottom edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to hear that you were successful! I would love to see pictures of you creation.

      Delete